The other type of paternity test available is a legal paternity test. This is where the DNA samples will be collected by a neutral third party such as one of our nurses or a doctor. With this type of paternity test the results can be used in a court of law or for the child support agency.
DNA Diagnostics understand the anxiety you may be feeling at this time and have taken appropriate measures to ensure that confidentiality and speed is maintained at every step.
Our Paternity Test take 4 Easy Steps
- Complete and sign all documentation
- Rub the inside of the left cheek using the swab provided and place in colour coded envelope. Rub inside the cheek around 20 times. Then repeat the process on right cheek using second swab
- Place all swab envelopes and completed forms in the large envelope and post back to DNA Diagnostics using the correct postage
- Receive your results the next working day by email
DNA Diagnostics is UKAS 17025 accredited meaning that you can have confidence in our paternity test results as our own laboratory has been independently assessed and passed by industry experts from the UK Accreditation Service (UKAS). We offer a range of ‘peace of mind’ Paternity Tests, which can be ordered online.
We understand the anxiety you may be feeling at this time and have taken appropriate measures to ensure that confidentiality and speed is maintained at every step.
These measures include:
- Sending all literature and DNA sample collection kits in plain white envelopes with no company branding
- We destroy all samples within 3 months of the report date and all personal information is destroyed within 12 months of report date to ensure we are not holding any personal information for longer than we have to.
- We do not share your information with any other company or third party.
- For ‘peace of mind’ paternal testing, you can opt out of providing your home address to help maintain confidentiality.
- The option to walk into our modern facilities in Warrington is available to save time.
No other laboratory goes further than we do to ensure a quick, hassle free service.
Paternity Test Support Service
We take support and counseling very seriously and customers considering a paternity test or any type of DNA test should think carefully about the repercussions of an unexpected result and the impact it may have on any child involved. There are a number of professional bodies who are able to provide independent advice and counseling. Please click here to see a list of support and useful numbers.
Paternity Test Support Line
If you need more help we provide a FREE support line – Please call: 0800 170 1200
Same Day Paternity Test
We are one of only a few laboratories in Europe who can offer a same day paternity test. A ‘peace of mind’ paternity test is suitable if you require a test for curiosity purposes only. Please note that results cannot be used for legal matters such as changing the name on a birth certificate or in family court proceedings. Samples are easy to collect and results are available at the end of the business day, once the samples arrive at our laboratory. The result will guarantee a minimum probability for a positive match or inclusion of greater than 99.99% and 100% for an exclusion or negative result. Our DNA Paternal Test can be ordered online.
Peace of mind or paternity testing is characterised by the self-collection process. We send sample collection kits to the testing parties, and they perform their own swabbing to collect their DNA samples. Because of this collection method, private paternity testing produces results that are not legally defensible. Included with the kit are consent forms, which must be signed and sent back to DNA Diagnostics with the DNA samples.
How Paternity Tests work
A paternity test works by comparing a child’s DNA profile with that of an alleged father (and often the mother as well). Because a child inherits half of his or her DNA from each biological parent, such a comparison reveals whether the child may have inherited DNA from the father. When individuals are biologically related as parent and child, their DNA profiles show predictable patterns of genetic inheritance. It is this information we use to determine the paternity of a child.
These samples are not admissible in a court of law and although we follow a strict code of practice to ensure you get a 100% accurate test result we cannot be 100% sure that the sample we have receive are from the parties expected as we do not take a samples.
If you are going to use your paternity test for legal purposes then you may need our legal paternity testing service.
How to Use Our Paternity Test
Please ensure you read all instructions before beginning avoid eating drinking or washing mouth immediately before taking any DNA sample.
Begin by…… considering the need for a legal paternity test.
Do you need your test results for legal purposes such as immigration applications? If so, please contact us. This test is not suitable for legal purposes.
Who will receive the paternity results?
The results will be given to the person nominated on the Paternity test Consent Form, for whom everyone tested has given consent and other authorised persons where appropriate.
Your test results will be emailed to you and you can gain access to the file using the password you create.
Please note your unique case reference number as you will need this for your results or if you need to contact DNA Diagnostics.
Legal Paternity Test
Choose DNA Diagnostics if you need a paternity test for any legal reason.
We are now accredited for legal DNA testing using 24 markers this is the most accurate DNA Testing in the United Kingdom.
DNA Diagnostics has been working with members of the public, family and immigration solicitors for many years. Our legal DNA paternity test reports have been used as evidence of Paternity at the Home Office and Civil Courts throughout the UK for over 15 years.
We maintain a very good relationship with some of the UK’s largest
family law solicitors and maintain a UK based customer service office
for all your enquiries. Please call 0845 5050 001 for any further information you may need about the products and services we offer.
You may need a legal Paternity Test for:
- Divorce proceedings
- Child custody proceedings
- To change a name on a birth certificate
- A CSA Claim
- Any other legal matter before a UK court
Our paternity testing service follows a strict chain of custody and that is what make our test reports acceptable to the civil courts.It has been proved to be 99.9999% acurate and is admissible in a court of law as proof of paternity.
Our strict chain of custody procedure involves:
- Samples being collected by a neutral third party such as a company nurse or a doctor.
- Samples are sealed with tamper proof tape at the sample collection appointment and either hand delivered to our laboratory or by courier. Once the samples are logged into our laboratory the samples are thoroughly checked.
Legally Admissible DNA Paternity Tests
We are UKAS 17025 accredited meaning that you can have confidence in our results as our own laboratory has been independently assessed and passed by industry experts from the UK Accreditation Service (UKAS). We offer a range of Legal Paternity Tests, which can be ordered online.
The procedure to arrange a legal paternity test, is as follows;
- Once the case has been registered online, we will send a DNA sample
collection kit to a medically trained third party usually a GP, who you
have nominated yourself.
- You will need to make an appointment with the GP to have your samples collected (your GP may charge for this service).
- ID and photographs must be provided by each party involved in the
test, and the samples will be sealed with tamper proof tape and sent
directly by courier to our Laboratory.
- Once the samples are in our Laboratory they will be thoroughly
checked, analysed and you will receive your results 5 working days
New Legal DNA Paternity Test (5 Working days)
A Legal DNA Paternity Test within 5 working days is ideal if you require results for a court case or to change a legal document such as a birth certificate. A 5 working day DNA Paternity Test is also ideal if you require the results for the Home Office to prove a family relationship for immigration purposes. DNA Test results are available within 5 working days once your DNA samples are received into our UKAS 17025 accredited laboratory.
DNA Diagnostics also offer Legal DNA testing for immigration purposes, please visit our DNA Immigration page for more information or call our UK based call centre on: 0845 5050 001 during UK office hours.